Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

Apc40 Live Looping Band

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Apc40 Live Looping Band

Post by westleyschnipes on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey guys im looking for some help with a project im working on, and basically just wanna see if anyone is interested in it, or has ideas or feedback.

I have a bunch of dance "songs" written in garage band from months past, Im looking to perform them live with just 2 people using ableton live 8 and an apc40.

I have a macbook pro i7,
Apc40
Apogee Duet (2 ins 2 outs)
microkorg (used for MIDI and vocoder)
Midi Drum kit
midi keyboard
guitar
vocals

The songs are built in a way that it SHOULD work with loops and the right programming. I have been fooling around with ableton the last few weeks and have managed to get some loops going pretty decent but they seem to be stuck inside the looper... and im not feeling like I have enough flexibility to actually pull this off.

Basically I started with just one song, made a template with all my devices working, got my tones set up pretty decent, and set the BPM... I love abletons looper but I need to record loops on the go to clip launchers on the APC40, so that everythings seperated and controllable considering how much is going on at once. When i get to that second chorus I want it to be as easy as pressing 4 launchers - and having the Drums, Bass, guitar, synth that I recorded during the first one come back, by the end of the song its going to be all editing and DJ work.

Im having a hard time putting this to words but if someone out there is interested by this and can lend some wise words Id appreciate it! Ill just keep pluggin away at it

westleyschnipes

Back to top Go down

Re: Apc40 Live Looping Band

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Happy to help, not sure if I fully understand, can you post a screen shot?

With regards to pressing one button to play four different segments, if you place these vertically across four different channels and press the launch in master, they will all play together.
Admin
Admin

http://apc40.nice-forums.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP_KING on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't think you want to be using the looper to do this. If I understand correctly, you want to have a variety of MIDI controllers plugged into Ableton each controlling a different MIDI instrument and you would like to perform a loop live, capture it and then build upon it?

You should be able to just arm the given MIDI track you want to record the loop for and record a MIDI clip all from the APC40. The APC40 has controls to arm the track, record, stop, and play. You would use the APC40 for all mixing and some effects, and your other controllers to actually provide the MIDI input to each of the loops.

Am I thinking about this correctly? There's a few groups out there that perform in a similar fashion but as a hybrid of MIDI and real instruments. Take a look at Sound Tribe Sector 9 and Eoto

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Post by westleyschnipes on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Ok now were talking, I know i can click and drag the loop into its own audio track and play it back but thats too much work. When I went to try that (new to ableton), I couldnt get the same features I could out of the looper... maybe Ill have to use a mix of both? I can set the looper to do stuff like record 4 bars and then overdub , then with my footswitch I can UNDO the overdub when it comes out of the song. I can also use the foot switches which is key for all my guitar parts. I really want to use the APC40 to its Full potential though... Can i set a launch pad to record a 4 bar loop and just keep playing it until I tell it otherwise? Everytime i record onto a clip launch slot I cant seem to get it to end properly and continue without using the mouse... and What can i do about the immediate overdub that I get from the looper feature? Since theres only 2 of us in the band being quick and smooth is really important. Editing effects and the whole song on the fly is going to be really important as well, because by the end of all the songs everythings basically already in there ready to go, theres not as much work on our part. the second chorus is just us singing and bringing back the first one , same for verses ect. I checked out both of those bands that was really cool, to help you get a better idea of us is we will jam and jam for hours on one song, then pick apart the good parts and create the song.. and we keep in mind that we have to make it as do-able as possible without having to launch too many samples to create our songs. Our songs are also pretty simple, the tried and true radio pop song structures, so its very A B A B not any improvisation or much doodling goin down, So accessibility to all the created loops during the song is exactly why i bought this apc40 and im really hoping to get it working for me!

Am I going to be able to do this all on the macbook pro i7 ?
The songs get pretty layered by the end ... and theres an electric kit going MIDI, 2 midi keyboard, a drum pad, and 2 1/4' into an APOGEE duet... The vocals I am going to probably keep seperate off the computer, other than the vocoder parts

thanks so much guys its exciting to get the ball rolling a bit

westleyschnipes

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP_KING on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Unfortunately I won't be of much help to you with this as I use Ableton primarily for DJ'ing purposes and I don't know a lot of the terms you're throwing around, but I will try to respond to a few points.

I think you will be able to do everything using an i7 macbook pro. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, the only thing that would maybe be a concern is the lag for all the MIDI controllers. Do you have a specific midi interface that you'll be plugging the APC and the 3 other controllers into? I'm not sure if they make these, but a firewire based MIDI interface might be the best thing in this case so that speeds will be optimized.

Take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SH4g4FHZHw

I watched this video a long time ago before I got started with Ableton and he kind of shows his workflow as to how he goes about recording loops, etc. It could be useful to check that out.

As for overdubbing, does that just mean the clip continues to record and it will overwrite anything as you hit a note? If that's the case, just recording a MIDI clip should do the same thing. In fact, there's a MIDI overdub button on the APC that you can toggle overdub (I don't have it in front of me but thats how I remember it).

Based on my understanding, when you have a MIDI track in Ableton, you should just be able to create a bunch of empty clips of varying length in bars, and then to record in one of those clips, you would arm that track and then hit that button on the grid matrix, if it lights up red, it's recording.

I think if you watch that video I mentioned though, it could help to give you a lot of ideas for how to handle your workflow.

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 pm

....and my apologies for getting the complete wrong end of the stick!
Admin
Admin

http://apc40.nice-forums.net

Back to top Go down

Post by westleyschnipes on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:24 pm

All the help is appreciated, that video was awesome! Thats exactly what we are looking to do, use the apc40 to perform live. Although we plan to get good enough at it that we can perform the songs fully, LIVE. and by the end of it be able to press tab and export to mp3... and everytime we play that song it should basically be the same, once we have it all planned out.

I am having trouble using the APC40 clip buttons to record, I can get it to record the sound of my keyboard perfectly... laid down a 4 bar bass line, had my tone already mapped out the way i wanted it. It was looping until I say otherwise which is perfect! But - When I go to record another part on the same track... its stops playing the loop? Even in overdub mode it just stops playing the loop. I got around it by duplicating the track but thats only a short term solution. To build the songs I have made in garage band, I need full access to recording onto these clip launch buttons

thanks guys!!! all of you

westleyschnipes

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP_KING on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:07 pm

correct, you can only play one clip at a time per track, so if you start recording a 2nd loop on the same track, the 1st one will stop. There's no way around this really unless you create multiple instances of that instrument. What you might be able to do is create multiple iterations of the same instrument, and then group all of those tracks so that you can collapse them and save screen real estate. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for but should work

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Post by westleyschnipes on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:13 pm

thanks again

This is giving me some trouble now without being able to launch and record multiple clips on the same track... I think Im going to have to combine the one clip record i get on each track , with looper running for a second clip (then the option to overdub), During points in the song where i have a free second i can also drag clips out of looper onto launch tracks and such too... might need to get one of those novation clip launch pads so I can start running more tracks.
damn! that really sucks ! but what can you do.

westleyschnipes

Back to top Go down

Post by elkapone on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey! I just moines this Forum because i want to do something very similar, The main diferences are that im just one guy, And i want To do more of an imporvisational thing.

I am quite sure that you can overdub The sane MIDI clip. What you can't do is record 2 diferent clips playing at The same time in The same track.

When i get home i will confirm that Wink

elkapone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top