Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

beginner questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

beginner questions

Post by tripnotic on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey guys,

I have some questions that will probably seem really obvious to most.

first question:

once I remap everything to my liking, how do I save the remaps so that when I open up ableton at a later time it will remember everything I remapped? once I turn off the APC40 to transport it, all re mapping info is lost, which is frustrating for playing live.

second question:

I know this has been covered several times, but due to my limited knowledge, and the advanced complex explanations given, I still cannot understand how to do this properly. Basically, I want the APC40 to emulate a mixer in terms of being able to tweek knobs from 2 different channels at once. for instance, I simply want to bring in the bass from one channel while removing the bass from the channel i'm mixing out of at the same time. currently I can only control the knobs from whichever channel is highlighted. I want full control over both channel 1 & 2 when I mix.

if anyone can offer a simplified way to do this, please let me know. (without buying extra software or templates)

tripnotic

Back to top Go down

Re: beginner questions

Post by supersox on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:08 pm

can you not remap unused buttons to be killswitches, and then apply these kill switches at the correct moment to mix one channel out and one in?

supersox

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirk Bigler on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:23 am

Any remaps you do will save to that particular Ableton sets .als file.
Dirk Bigler
APC40 user

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 pm

You need to open the preferences of Live and you'll find the save set as template option.
Admin
Admin

http://apc40.nice-forums.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP_KING on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 am

for your second question, this will not be possible unless you are comfortable with losing some of the stock functionality of the APC40. For example, if you don't need to use pans in your set, you can hard map your midi needs over the knobs selected within the pan bank.

This is how I do it, this is how its done in Will Marshall's template, this is the best way to do it. For example, lets say you only have a two deck set up and you would like to control the EQ3 for both decks at the same time.

Here's what you will do:

1) place an EQ 3 on each channel
2) select pans on the track control set of knobs on your APC 40 (the top right set of knobs)
3) press control-m or command-m to enter midi mode.
4) click on the gain for the low on the EQ3 for Deck A
5) wiggle the top left knob in the pan section of the track controls. This will now hard map that control to the pans bank. Whenever pans bank is selected, the top left knob will control the gain for the bass frequency in the EQ3.
6) repeat for each gain in the EQ3 to however you would like them represented.

Done. That way you can have lets say the top set of 4 knobs dedicated to control the low, mid, and high for deck a, and the bottom set of 4 knobs to control the EQ for deck b.

I don't think anybody will be able to explain it any more clearly than that, so if you don't understand, good luck! Please note that when you hard-map your EQ controls to this bank, you will lose the ability to use the pans. If the pans are important to you, but you don't use any sends, then just select the send A, B, or C bank before hard-mapping your midi controls.

Or, alternatively, you can just download Will's template which has this already mapped. You can watch his video that gives a very clear explanation of what every single control on your APC will do to control his template.

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Have a search for Hanz Petrov's control surface scripts, he gives the facility to have the Track COntrol knobs as a second set of Device COntrol knobs that can be locked to a track....

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

http://www.isotonikstudios.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tripnotic on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:02 pm

thanks forthe suggestions guys! looks like remaping the pans does seem to work. I personally never use the pans when DJ mixing to begin with, so I don't miss it. the saving issues have been worked out too it seems, so thanks to all!

tripnotic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top