Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

Best way to layer samples?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best way to layer samples?

Post by RIP_KING on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 am

I've been experimenting with different ways to use the APC to layer samples during a mix. I was curious what some of you are doing and whether or not I'm doing it incorrectly since im still kind of new to this whole thing.

I've thought of two basic ways thus far to use only the APC to drop samples:

1) Place my samples into Deck C or Deck D and turn the quantization off or to 1/32.

2) Placing the samples into a drum rack and arming that track for MIDI input. Then when I'm ready to drop the samples, I switch the APC to note mode "shift 3" using the python script I downloaded online. Shift 3 puts the box of green LED's in the bottom left of the matrix to align with the drum rack. I can then "play" my samples in this manner, and switch modes back to default for mixing and effects.

What do you guys think of both of these methods, have you experimented with anything different? I haven't had the patience to sit down and try and warp through an entire acapella yet, so I've focused mostly on just clipping out small phrases that I like and then warping those to keep in beat.

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Re: Best way to layer samples?

Post by Dirk Bigler on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:41 am

Not sure if I am reading this right, but why not just put your clips on different tracks and then just trigger them as normal?
Dirk Bigler
APC40 user

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP_KING on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:46 pm

yeah I just wasn't sure what other people were using on this forum cause I have read around that some people will use an impulse or a drum rack. Are there benefits to using either of those vs. just putting it onto an audio track and triggering as needed?

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirk Bigler on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Depends what you want to do mate. You could use a sampler to load your samples and trigger via midi if you are producing (or doing something with a keyboard). For mixing or live purposes, I would say just triggering samples in Ableton.
Dirk Bigler
APC40 user

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 am

Good info on the Ableton website on the benefits of using the sampler:

http://www.ableton.com/sampler
Admin
Admin

http://apc40.nice-forums.net

Back to top Go down